Nipple discharge refers to any fluid that seeps out of the nipple of the breast.
Nipple discharge during pregnancy and breast-feeding is normal. Nipple discharge happens less commonly in women who aren't pregnant or breast-feeding. It may not be cause for concern, but it's wise to have it evaluated by a doctor to be sure. Men who experience nipple discharge under any circumstances should be evaluated.
One or both breasts may produce a nipple discharge, either spontaneously or when you squeeze your nipples or breasts. Nipple discharge may look milky, clear, yellow, green, brown or bloody. Discharge that isn't milk comes out of your nipple through the same ducts that carry milk. The discharge can involve a single duct or multiple ducts. The consistency of nipple discharge can vary — it may be thick and sticky or thin and watery.
Dec. 03, 2019
- Understanding breast changes: A health guide for women. National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/publications/patient-education/understanding-breast-changes. Accessed Oct. 10, 2019.
- Golshan M. Nipple discharge. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Oct. 10, 2019.
- Lee SJ, et al. ACR Appropriateness Criteria evaluation of nipple discharge. Journal of the American College of Radiology. 2017;14:S138.
- Nipple discharge. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology-and-obstetrics/breast-disorders/nipple-discharge. Accessed Oct. 10, 2019.
- AskMayoExpert. Nipple discharge. Mayo Clinic; 2019.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Oct. 10, 2019.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Practice Bulletin No. 164: Diagnosis and management of benign breast disorders. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2016; doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000001482.
- Galactorrhea. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/pituitary-disorders/galactorrhea#v980911. Accessed Oct. 9, 2019.
- Paget disease of the breast. National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/paget-breast-fact-sheet. Accessed Oct. 10, 2019.
- Dixon JM. Nonlactational mastitis. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Oct. 10, 2019.