Seek immediate medical attention if you have:
- Groin pain associated with back, abdomen or chest pain
- Sudden, severe testicle pain
- Testicle pain and swelling accompanied by nausea, vomiting, fever, chills or blood in the urine
Schedule a doctor's visit if you have:
- Severe groin pain
- Groin pain that doesn't improve with home treatment within a few days
- Mild testicle pain lasting longer than a few days
- A lump or swelling in or around a testicle
- Intermittent intense pain along the lower side of your abdomen (flank) that may radiate along your groin and into your testicle
- Blood in your urine
If your groin pain is caused by a strain or sprain, these self-care measures might help:
Oct. 12, 2018
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others).
- Place an ice pack or bag of frozen peas, wrapped in a protective layer such as a towel, on the sore area for 20 to 30 minutes two to four times a day.
- Temporarily stop participation in athletic activities. Rest is essential to heal any strains or sprains to your groin.
- Johnson R, et al. Approach to hip and groin pain in the athlete and active adult. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 25, 2017.
- McMahon P, et al. Sports medicine. In: Current Diagnosis and Treatment in Orthopedics. 5th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.mhmedical.com Accessed Sept. 25, 2017.
- Brooks DC, et al. Sports-related groin pain or "sports hernia." https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Sept. 25, 2017.
- Shah AJ, et al. Scrotal pain. Merck Manual Consumer Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/kidney_and_urinary_tract_disorders/symptoms_of_kidney_and_urinary_tract_disorders/scrotal_pain.html?qt=groin pain&alt=sh. Accessed Sept. 25, 2017.
- Luke A, et al. Sports medicine and outpatient orthopedics. In: Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2018. 57th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2018. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Accessed Sept. 25, 2017.