Refer a Patient
The Referring Provider Office is your one-stop team for scheduling appointments and arranging telephone consultations with Mayo Clinic staff members.
Mayo Clinic respects the relationships you have with your patients and is committed to open communication and prompt follow-up after your patient is seen. We recognize that your patient looks to you as his or her primary provider — and we expect to entrust your patient back to your ongoing care after being seen at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo sees patients from all walks of life and is an in-network provider for millions of people. To refer a patient, you don't need to know a Mayo Clinic staff member or have a previous relationship with us.
Why refer your patient to Mayo Clinic?
- Quality. Mayo Clinic is continually developing new diagnosis and treatment techniques and refining and improving existing ones.
- Locations. We have major campuses in three regions of the U.S. — Rochester, Minnesota; Jacksonville, Florida; and Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona — as well as Mayo Clinic Health System locations that serve more than 60 communities in Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. This offers your patients multiple ways to access Mayo Clinic, no matter where they live.
- Ease. Click, call or fax — we offer several ways to refer patients, all streamlined to save time for you and your colleagues. Use our online referral service when it's convenient for you, or gain electronic access to patient appointment times and subsequent clinical notes and test results.
- Expertise. Mayo Clinic has tertiary and quaternary expertise found in few other medical centers, including novel treatment options and clinical trials.
- Collaboration. Working together with medical professionals in the community and around the world has been part of Mayo's culture since our founding 150 years ago. Let us collaborate with you to provide the highest quality care to our patients.
Telephone consultation with Mayo Clinic physicians
Physicians in most medical and surgical specialties at Mayo Clinic are available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call the Referring Provider Office to arrange. See the list of medical departments and centers at each Mayo Clinic campus.
Scheduling patient appointments
To schedule an appointment, Mayo Clinic needs this information about your patient:
- Phone number
- Date of birth
- Mayo Clinic registration number, if a previous patient
- Type of insurance (such as HMO, workers' compensation, medical assistance)
- Nature of medical issue
We also need to know:
- Your referring physician National Provider Identifier (NPI) number
- Services you would like Mayo to provide
Patients with urgent medical or surgical needs are given priority in the appointment system. Appointments for nonurgent medical issues are scheduled several days to several weeks in advance.
In general, pediatric services are offered only at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
The Referring Provider Office will obtain your patient's Mayo medical records once he or she is seen and ensure that you receive them in a timely manner via mail, fax or email. You can also use our online services to access your patient's records at any time.
Our physicians will forward a summary of diagnostic reports and treatments to you as soon as it becomes available. If you have not been contacted by your patient's Mayo Clinic physician, contact the Referring Provider Office for assistance.
Hospital admissions and transfers
Experienced nursing staff is available 24/7 to coordinate direct admission, emergency department evaluation or inpatient consultation on your patients for any Mayo Clinic Hospital. Additionally, safe transport using Mayo Clinic Medical Transport can be coordinated for airplane, helicopter and ground transportation through the same phone call.
Online services for referring providers
We have a secure online referral service to help you refer patients to Mayo Clinic and view clinical results on your patients, including:
- Clinical notes
- Radiology and pathology reports
- Test results
- Surgical summaries
- Discharge notes
Find a doctor at Mayo Clinic.