While most headaches are minor, some warn of a serious problem. Here's when to worry about a headache.By Mayo Clinic Staff
Most headaches are minor, and you can treat them with a pain reliever. Some headaches, however, signal a dangerous or serious medical problem. Don't ignore headaches that aren't explained or headaches that steadily worsen.
Get immediate medical attention if your headache:
- Develops suddenly and severely.
- Persists for several days.
- Causes mental confusion or loss of consciousness.
- Happens with seizures.
Immediate medical attention also is needed if your headache occurs with new:
- Dizziness or loss of balance.
- Weakness or paralysis, such as in the arms or legs.
- Difficulty speaking or understanding speech.
- Reddened eye.
Also seek medical attention if your headache:
Feb. 21, 2023
- Occurs with a fever, stiff neck or rash.
- Is accompanied by changes in vision, such as blurring or seeing halos around lights.
- Is serious and follows a recent sore throat or respiratory infection.
- Begins or worsens after a head injury, fall or bump.
- Is triggered by changing the position of your head, coughing, sneezing, bending or physical activity.
- Is a different type of headache from your usual type and you're older than 50.
- Walls RM, et al., eds. Headache. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 10th ed. Elsevier; 2023. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- Approach to the patient with headache. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic-disorders/headache/approach-to-the-patient-with-headache?qt=headache&alt=sh. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- South-Paul JE, et al., eds. Evaluation and management of headache. In: Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Family Medicine. 5th ed. McGraw Hill; 2020. https://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- Togha M, et al., eds. Approach to a patient with headache. In: Headache and Migraine in Practice. Elsevier; 2022. https://sciencedirect.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- Stroke signs and symptoms. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/stroke/signs_symptoms.htm. Accessed Feb. 2, 2023.
- Kissoon NR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Feb. 4, 2023.