Varicose vein care at Mayo Clinic
- Your Mayo Clinic care team. Mayo Clinic vascular specialists work with doctors trained in skin conditions (dermatologists), imaging (radiologists), blood vessel surgery (vascular surgeons) and others to diagnose and treat your condition.
- Advanced diagnosis. Mayo Clinic doctors use detailed imaging tests to accurately diagnose varicose veins, including ultrasound and other tests.
- Latest treatments. Mayo Clinic vascular specialists have expertise in treating varicose veins with many options, including liquid and foam sclerotherapy, laser surgery, endovenous thermal ablation including laser and radiofrequency treatment, vein stripping, endoscopic vein surgery, and other procedures.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Expertise and rankings
Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors treat approximately 4,000 people who have varicose veins.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in blood vessel conditions (vascular specialists) have experience evaluating and treating people with varicose veins.
- Treatment expertise. There are a number of ways to treat varicose veins, depending on their size and location. Options offered at the Mayo Clinic include sclerotherapy, laser surgery, endovenous thermal ablation, vein stripping, endoscopic vein surgery and other procedures.
- Vascular centers. Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota each offer a vascular center staffed by trained doctors and nurses who have experience treating vascular diseases.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's cardiovascular diseases expertise and rankings.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Jan. 16, 2019