Uveitis is a form of eye inflammation. It affects the middle layer of tissue in the eye wall (uvea).
Uveitis (u-vee-I-tis) warning signs often come on suddenly and get worse quickly. They include eye redness, pain and blurred vision. The condition can affect one or both eyes. It primarily affects people ages 20 to 50, but it may also affect children.
Possible causes of uveitis are infection, injury, or an autoimmune or inflammatory disease. Many times a cause can't be identified.
Uveitis can be serious, leading to permanent vision loss. Early diagnosis and treatment are important to prevent the complications of uveitis.
April 23, 2015
- Parekh A, et al. Risk factors associated with intraocular pressure increase in patients with uveitis treated with the fluocinolone acetonide implant. JAMA Ophthalmology. In press. Accessed March 11, 2015.
- Cunningham ET. Overview of uveitis. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec09/ch105/ch105a.html. Accessed March 30, 2015.
- Riordan-Eva P, et al. Uveitis. In: Vaughan & Asbury's General Ophthalmology. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=387§ionid=40229324&jumpsectionID=40231264&Resultclick=2. Accessed March 11, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Uveitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Rosenbaum JT. Uveitis: Etiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2015.
- Rosenbaum JT. Uveitis: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2015.
- Uveitis. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- Yuen BG, et al. Association between smoking and uveitis: Results from the Pacific Ocular Inflammation Study. Ophthalmology. In Press. Accessed April 4, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.