In most cases, a sty doesn't require specific treatment. A sty typically goes away on its own. Recurrences are common.
For a sty that persists, your doctor may recommend treatments, such as:
June 03, 2015
- Antibiotics. Your doctor may prescribe antibiotic eyedrops or a topical antibiotic cream to apply to your eyelid. If your eyelid infection persists or spreads beyond your eyelid, your doctor may recommend antibiotics in tablet or pill form.
- Surgery to relieve pressure. If your sty doesn't clear up, your doctor may make a small cut in it to drain the pus. This helps speed healing and relieve the pain and swelling.
- AskMayoExpert. Hordeolum (stye). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Riordan-Eva P, et al. Lids and lacrimal apparatus. In: Vaughan & Asbury's General Ophthalmology. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- What Are Chalazia and Styes? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/chalazion-stye.cfm. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- What you need to know about contact lens hygiene and compliance. American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/x8024.xml. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Chalazion and hordeolum. Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/eyelid-and-lacrimal-disorders/chalazion-and-hordeolum-stye. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Eye cosmetic safety. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductsIngredients/Products/ucm137241.htm. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Lindsley K, et al. Interventions for acute internal hordeolum. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007742.pub3/abstract. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Wash your hands. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/Features/HandWashing. Accessed April 1, 2015.
- Using eye makeup. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/living/eye-makeup.cfm. Accessed April 1, 2015.
- Chalazion and stye treatment. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/chalazion-stye/treatment.cfm. Accessed April 1, 2015.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 18, 2015.