A spermatocele (SPUR-muh-toe-seel) is an abnormal sac (cyst) that develops in the epididymis — the small, coiled tube located on the upper testicle that collects and transports sperm. Noncancerous and generally painless, a spermatocele usually is filled with milky or clear fluid that might contain sperm.
The exact cause of spermatoceles is unknown but might be due to a blockage in one of the tubes that transports sperm.
Spermatoceles, sometimes called spermatic cysts, are common. They typically don't reduce fertility or require treatment. If a spermatocele grows large enough to cause discomfort, your doctor might suggest surgery.
Dec. 16, 2014
- Eyre RC. Evaluation of nonacute scrotal pathology in adult men. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Zhou M. Uropathology: High-Yield Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Spermatoceles (spermatic cyst). American Urological Association Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=117. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Crawford P, et al. Evaluation of scrotal masses. American Family Physician. 2014;89:723.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Painless scrotal mass. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/symptoms_of_genitourinary_disorders/painless_scrotal_mass.html. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Lund L, et al. The long-term efficacy of hydrocele treatment with aspiration and sclerotherapy with polidocanol compared to placebo: A prospective, double-blind, randomized study. The Journal of Urology. 2014;191:1347.
- Do I have testicular cancer? American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/testicularcancer/moreinformation/doihavetesticularcancer/do-i-have-testicular-cancer-self-exam. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., Nov. 27, 2014.