Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis care at Mayo Clinic
- Your Mayo Clinic care team. Typically, a kidney specialist (nephrologist) and a skin disease specialist (dermatologist) work together to treat nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. But because this disease can affect many different body systems, Mayo Clinic's multidisciplinary approach allows quick consultation with other specialists as needed.
- Experienced care. Mayo Clinic doctors have the expertise and experience to diagnose and treat this uncommon disease. Radiologists at Mayo Clinic are skilled at finding alternatives to gadolinium-containing contrast agents in at-risk people needing imaging tests.
- Care at Mayo Clinic revolves around you. A detailed itinerary for appointments, tests and procedures helps make the most of your time at the clinic. Tests and labs are run at Mayo Clinic, which means tests done in the morning can be reviewed the same afternoon.
Expertise and rankings
- Experience. Even though nephrogenic systemic fibrosis is uncommon, Mayo Clinic doctors have the expertise and experience to diagnose and treat this disease. Radiologists at Mayo Clinic are skilled at finding alternatives to gadolinium-containing contrast agents in at-risk people needing imaging tests.
- Specialized care. Mayo Clinic's Division of Nephrology and Hypertension is one of the world's largest groups of practicing kidney specialists (nephrologists), focusing on both research and patient care.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for kidney disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., ranks among the Best Hospitals for kidney disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for kidney disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.