Infectious diseases are disorders caused by organisms — such as bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites. Many organisms live in and on our bodies. They're normally harmless or even helpful, but under certain conditions, some organisms may cause disease.
Some infectious diseases can be passed from person to person. Some are transmitted by bites from insects or animals. And others are acquired by ingesting contaminated food or water or being exposed to organisms in the environment.
Signs and symptoms vary depending on the organism causing the infection, but often include fever and fatigue. Mild infections may respond to rest and home remedies, while some life-threatening infections may require hospitalization.
Many infectious diseases, such as measles and chickenpox, can be prevented by vaccines. Frequent and thorough hand-washing also helps protect you from most infectious diseases.
Aug. 17, 2017
- Facts about infectious disease. Infectious Disease Society of America. http://www.idsociety.org/Facts_About_ID/. Accessed Oct. 30, 2015.
- Understanding microbes in sickness and in health. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/microbes/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Oct. 30, 2015.
- Ryan KJ, et al. Infectious diseases: Syndromes and etiologies. In: Sherris Medical Microbiology. 6th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2014. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Oct. 29, 2015.
- Group B Strep — Transmission and risk factors. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/groupbstrep/about/transmission-risks.html. Accessed Oct. 31, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Approach to the patient with an infectious disease. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Oct. 29, 2015.
- Razonable RR. Antiviral drugs for viruses other than human immunodeficiency virus. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2011;86:1009.
- Common cold. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 31, 2015.
- Rees JR, et al. Vitamin D3 supplementation and upper respiratory tract infections in a randomized, controlled trial. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2013;57:1384.
- Influenza. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 31, 2015.
- Stopping the spread of germs at home, work & school. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/stopgerms.htm. Accessed Oct. 31, 2015.
- An ounce of prevention keeps the germs away. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ounceofprevention/. Accessed Oct. 29, 2015.