Food allergy is an immune system reaction that occurs soon after eating a certain food. Even a tiny amount of the allergy-causing food can trigger signs and symptoms such as digestive problems, hives or swollen airways. In some people, a food allergy can cause severe symptoms or even a life-threatening reaction known as anaphylaxis.
Food allergy affects an estimated 6 to 8 percent of children under age 3 and up to 3 percent of adults. While there's no cure, some children outgrow their food allergy as they get older.
It's easy to confuse a food allergy with a much more common reaction known as food intolerance. While bothersome, food intolerance is a less serious condition that does not involve the immune system.
Feb. 12, 2014
- Gupta RS, et al. Childhood food allergies: Current diagnosis, treatment, and management strategies. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2013;88:512.
- Ferri FF. Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Boyce JA, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: Report of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel. Bethesda, Md.: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodallergy/clinical/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Burks W. Clinical manifestations of food allergy: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Food allergy: An overview. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodallergy/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Nowak-Wegrzyn A. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of oral allergy syndrome (pollen-food allergy syndrome). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Food allergy: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/food-allergy.aspx. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Sicherer SH, et al. Advances in allergic skin disease, anaphylaxis, and hypersensitivity reactions to foods, drugs, and insects in 2012. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2013;131:55.
- Wisniewski JA, et al. Alternative and complementary treatment for food allergy. Immunology Clinics of North America. 2012;32:135.