Urologists at Mayo Clinic provide expert care for male and female patients of all ages who suffer from problems of the urinary tract. Urologists also attend to diseases and conditions of the male reproductive organs. Female reproductive organs are treated by gynecologists.
Mayo Clinic urologists perform hundreds of minimally invasive operations each year for a variety of urologic problems. These minimally invasive surgical procedures produce excellent results, and patients often have shorter hospital stays, less discomfort and bleeding, and a shorter recovery period. Two types of minimally invasive surgery that Mayo Clinic urologists are well known for are kidney operations and endoscopic procedures used to diagnose and treat upper urinary tract disorders.
Mayo physicians are leaders in clinical research that enhances the capability to offer the most advanced treatments available. Specialty services offered through Urology include:
- Bladder reconstruction
- Brachytherapy (radioactive seed implantation)
- Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy to destroy kidney stones
- Endoscopic and percutaneous techniques
- Genitourinary reconstruction
- Laparoscopic procedures including nephrectomy
- Medical and surgical treatment for sexual dysfunction and impotence
- Minimally invasive techniques for benign prostatic hyperplasia and other conditions
- Minimally invasive injection therapies and other procedures for incontinence
- Robot-assisted prostatectomy
- Organ-sparing surgery for kidney cancer
- Penile reconstructive surgery
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of kidney tumors
- Urodynamic evaluation
See department pages at each Mayo location. Includes lists of doctors.