Robert D. Brown Jr., M.D., M.P.H., is a neurologist with a subspecialty expertise in stroke and cerebrovascular disease. His clinical interests include:
- Cerebrovascular diseases of all types.
- Ischemic stroke and transient ischemic attack evaluation and management.
- Intracranial aneurysms — evaluation, screening and management.
- Intracranial vascular malformations including cavernous malformations and arteriovenous malformations.
- Central nervous system vasculitis evaluation and management.
- Stroke prevention.
- The evaluation and management of all other neurological disorders.
- For all patients seen, provision of care focusing on the primary value of Mayo Clinic: The needs of the patient come first.
In addition to his clinical activities, Dr. Brown has been active in stroke-cerebrovascular disease research for over 30 years, and has served as principal investigator, and on the executive committee and steering committees for numerous NIH-funded research studies. He has published extensively in scientific journals. He also has a long-standing interest in the education of residents and fellows, and in presenting at continuous professional development courses in the field of stroke and cerebrovascular disease for other physicians and health care providers.
- Arteriovenous malformation
- Brain aneurysm
- Carotid artery disease
- Cavernous malformations
- CNS vasculitis
- Stroke prevention
- Transient ischemic attack
- Stroke: evaluation and management
- Transient ischemic attack: evaluation and management
- Stroke epidemiology and prevention
- Carotid artery disease: medical, endovascular and
- Cerebral aneurysms
- Intracranial arteriovenous malformations
- Intracranial cavernous malformations
- CNS vascultis
Mayo Clinic Locations
Fellow - Cerebrovascular Disease and StrokeMayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
MPH - Public Health, EpidemiologyUniversity of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Resident - NeurologyMayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
MDMayo Medical School, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
BS - Chemistry
BiologyGustavus Adolphus College
Activities and Honors
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Awards and Honors
Internal Medicine Residency, Recognition for Excellence in Inpatient Teaching 1999-2004Mayo Clinic
Individual Award for ExcellenceMayo Clinic
Distinguished Clinician AwardMayo Clinic
Outstanding Faculty AwardMayo School of Continuous Professional Development, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science, Department of Education Administration
Stroke Leadership AwardAmerican Heart Association
American Neurological Association MembershipAmerican Neurological Association
Medical Student Scholarship (Cerebrovascular Disease)American Heart Association
Karis AwardMayo Clinic
Woltman AwardMayo Clinic
Fellowship AwardNational Stroke Association
- 2006 - 2009
ChairEducation Committee, American Neurological Association
- 2005 - present
Board MemberBioBusiness Alliance of Minnesota
MemberClassification Committee BARI 2D Study, Morbidity and Mortality Committee
- 2003 - present
MemberACGME General Competencies Task Force, Mayo Clinic Rochester Task Forces
- 2001 - 2002
MemberProfessionalism and Communication Skills Subgroup, ACGME General Competencies Development Task Force, Department of Internal Medicine
- 2001 - present
MemberProgram Accreditation and Development Subcommittee, American Academy of Neurology
- 2000 - present
MemberOfficers & Councilors of Staff - Rochester, Mayo Clinic Rochester Committees
- 1999 - present
MemberAmerican Neurological Association
- 1999 - present
MemberNational Institutes of Health
- 1998 - 2000
MemberMedical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program (MKSAP), American College of Physicians