Aplastic anemia occurs when your bone marrow stops producing enough new blood cells. It's a serious problem, but treatments are available.
Asthma attack: Find out what the symptoms are and how to treat an asthma attack.
Broken heart syndrome, also called stress cardiomyopathy, mimics a heart attack. Discover how stress could trigger this puzzling condition.
Dust mite allergy, an immune system reaction to inhaled dust mite "debris," causes hay fever symptoms and may cause allergy-induced asthma.
Tobacco smoke causes most cases of emphysema. Although quitting smoking can't reverse the damage, it can help keep this serious lung disease from becoming worse.
Enlarged heart is often a sign of a serious heart condition. Find out causes and treatments for enlarged heart.
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is initiated by a rodent-carried virus that infects the lung tissues, bringing on flu-like symptoms, respiratory problems and even death.
Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Iron deficiency anemia may leave you feeling sapped of energy. This condition is especially common in women. Iron supplements usually help.
Mitral valve prolapse occurs when the valve separating two of your heart's chambers malfunctions. The disorder usually isn't serious and often doesn't require surgical treatment.
In myelofibrosis, healthy bone marrow is replaced with scar tissue, leading to severe anemia and fatigue.
Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment of this complication of infertility treatment.
Pleurisy is the painful inflammation of the membranes that surround your lungs. The cause can be one of a number of underlying conditions.
Pneumonitis is a general term for lung inflammation. It can cause difficulty breathing, often accompanied by a cough.
Polycythemia vera is a rare blood disorder in which a person's bone marrow makes too many blood cells.
Rheumatic fever, an inflammatory disease triggered by untreated or poorly treated strep throat, can cause permanent heart damage.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder, characterized by less hemoglobin and fewer red blood cells than normal. When necessary, treatment includes blood transfusions.
Most thyroid nodules — lumps in the thyroid gland — cause no problems. But nodules that affect swallowing, produce excess thyroid hormone or are malignant require treatment.
Lacking certain vitamins can lead to vitamin deficiency anemia. Find out which vitamins are linked to this condition.
Von Willebrand disease is an inherited bleeding condition caused by a deficit in or impairment of a protein essential for blood clotting.
An abnormal electrical pathway in the heart causes the rapid heart rate of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.
Feb. 27, 2016
- Schwartzstein RM. Approach to the patient with dyspnea. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Dyspnea. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Marx JA, et al. Dyspnea. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- Breathlessness. American Thoracic Society. http://www.thoracic.org/patients/patient-resources/resources/breathlessness.pdf?gclid=CJetzPSG4coCFQgcaQodiRQGeQ. Accessed Feb. 5, 2016.
- Shortness of breath. Merck Manual Consumer Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/lung-and-airway-disorders/symptoms-of-lung-disorders/shortness-of-breath. Accessed Feb. 5, 2016.
- Quintero DR, et al. Assessment of stridor in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 5, 2016.
- Loftis LL. Emergency evaluation of acute upper airway obstruction in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 5, 2016.
- Warning signs of heart failure. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartFailure/WarningSignsforHeartFailure/Warning-Signs-for-Heart-Failure_UCM_002045_Article.jsp#.VrTf7fkrJMw. Accessed Feb. 5, 2016.
- Living with COPD. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/livingwith. Accessed Feb. 5, 2016.
- Gallagher SA, et al. High altitude illness. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 5, 2016.
- Olson EJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 6, 2016.