Loss of blood flow to a bone leads to avascular necrosis — the death of bone tissue. This most commonly affects the thighbone, causing groin pain.
Buerger's disease affects blood vessels in your arms, legs, fingers and toes, causing pain and swelling. This rare disease is usually caused by tobacco use.
Fibromuscular dysplasia is a rare, but treatable, condition in which the arteries to your kidneys, brain or abdomen narrow, reducing blood flow to your organs.
Many people are born with flatfeet; others experience fallen arches. Custom-designed shoe inserts can support your arches and prevent complications.
Some people with psoriasis may develop joint pain called psoriatic arthritis. Get the basics here.
Sacroiliitis is one cause of low back pain and discomfort. It's an inflammation of the sacroiliac joints, which connect the lower spine and pelvis.
Mar. 13, 2013
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Jan. 3, 2013.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed Jan. 3, 2013.
- Sheon RP, et al. Plantar fasciitis and other causes of heel and sole pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 3, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Jan. 3, 2012.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 27, 2013.