Mayo Clinic research scientists and doctors are continually developing new methods for diagnosing and treating ulcerative colitis. Mayo Clinic radiologists were instrumental in developing novel imaging techniques for bowel disorders, including CT enterography and MR enterography. Mayo Clinic researchers were involved in studies showing that infliximab helped reduce the need for surgery for people with ulcerative colitis.
The Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery at Mayo Clinic also is well-known for developing minimally invasive surgical techniques for ulcerative colitis. Mayo Clinic researchers have been involved in studies of chromoendoscopy, a better way to look for precancerous changes associated with ulcerative colitis.
See a list of publications on ulcerative colitis by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
July 28, 2017
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Inflammatory bowel disease. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Feldman M, et al. Ulcerative colitis. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- What is ulcerative colitis? Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis/. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Ulcerative colitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/ulcerative-colitis. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Ungaro R, et al. Ulcerative colitis. The Lancet. 2017;389:1756.
- MacDermott RP. Management of mild to moderate ulcerative colitis in adults. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Peppercorn MA, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and prognosis of ulcerative colitis in adults. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Ulcerative colitis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2018. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Chronic ulcerative colitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2017.
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/resources/complementary-alternative.html. Accessed June 21, 2017.
- Inflammatory bowel disease. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed June 21, 2017.
- Yanai H, et al. Complementary therapies in inflammatory bowel diseases. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2016;18:62.
- Diet, nutrition, and inflammatory bowel disease. Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/. Accessed May 15, 2017.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 3, 2017.
- Rajan E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 4, 2017.