If you try to work through your pain, ignoring your body's warning signs, you could cause increasingly larger tears in the patellar tendon. Knee pain and reduced function can persist if you don't tend to the problem, and you may progress to the more serious patellar tendinopathy.
Jan. 08, 2015
- Patellar tendon tear. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00512. Accessed Dec. 15, 2014.
- Beutler A, et al. Approach to the athlete or active adult with knee pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 15, 2014.
- Rath E, et al. Clinical signs and anatomical correlation of patellar tendinitis. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. 2010;44:435.
- Christian RA, et al. Patellar tendinopathy: Recent developments toward treatment. Bulletin of the Hospital for Joint Diseases. 2014;72:217.
- AskMayoExpert. When are platelet-rich plasma (PRP) peripheral injections indicated for tendinopathy? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Khan K, et al. Overview of the management of overuse (chronic) tendinopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 15, 2014.