Follow the discussion on the latest advances in treating Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
Crohn's disease is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It causes inflammation of your digestive tract, which can lead to abdominal pain, severe diarrhea, fatigue, weight loss and malnutrition. Inflammation caused by Crohn's disease can involve different areas of the digestive tract in different people.
The inflammation caused by Crohn's disease often spreads deep into the layers of affected bowel tissue. Crohn's disease can be both painful and debilitating, and sometimes may lead to life-threatening complications.
While there's no known cure for Crohn's disease, therapies can greatly reduce its signs and symptoms and even bring about long-term remission. With treatment, many people with Crohn's disease are able to function well.
Crohn's disease care at Mayo Clinic
Aug. 07, 2017
- What is Crohn's disease? Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-crohns-disease/. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Inflammatory bowel disease. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Crohn disease. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Crohn's disease. Gastrointestinal Society. http://www.badgut.org/information-centre/a-z-digestive-topics/crohns-disease/. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Feldman M, et al. Crohn's disease. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Peppercorn MA, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis and prognosis of Crohn disease in adults. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 11, 2017.
- Crohn's disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/crohns-disease. Accessed May 12, 2017.
- What is colorectal cancer screening? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/. Accessed May 12, 2017.
- Management of Crohn's disease in adults. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-crohnâs-disease-in-adults/. Accessed May 13, 2017.
- Crohn's disease. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed May 12, 2017.
- Fleshner PR. Operative management of Crohn disease of the small bowel, colon, and rectum. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 11, 2017.
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/resources/complementary-alternative.html. Accessed May 14, 2017.
- Lichtenstein L, et al. Probiotics and prebiotics in Crohn's disease therapies. Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology. 2016;30:81.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 3, 2017.
- Diet, nutrition, and inflammatory bowel disease. Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/resources/diet-and-nutrition.html. Accessed May 15, 2017.
- Rajan E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 4, 2017.