Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic Staff
You're likely to start by seeing your family doctor or a general practitioner. In some cases when you call for an appointment, you may be referred immediately to a brain specialist (neurologist).
Here's some information to help you prepare for your appointment.
What you can do
- List your symptoms, including any that may seem unrelated to the reason for which you scheduled the appointment.
- Write down key personal information, including recent life changes.
- List medications, vitamins and supplements you take.
- Bring a family member or friend along, if possible. Someone who accompanies you might help you remember something you missed or forgot.
- Write down questions to ask your doctor.
For Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:
- What is likely causing my symptoms?
- Other than the most likely cause, what are other possible causes for my symptoms?
- What tests do I need?
- What is the best course of action?
- Are there restrictions I need to follow?
- Should I see a specialist?
- I have other medical conditions. How do I manage them together?
- Are there brochures or other printed material I can have? What websites do you recommend?
Don't hesitate to ask other questions.
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, including:
Sept. 09, 2015
- When did your symptoms begin?
- Have your symptoms been continuous or occasional?
- How severe are your symptoms?
- What, if anything, seems to improve your symptoms?
- What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?
- Has anyone in your family had Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease?
- Have you lived or traveled extensively outside the United States?
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cjd/detail_cjd.htm. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Relationship with BSE (mad cow disease). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/prions/vcjd/relationship-with-bse.html. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Brown HG, et al. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Brown HG, et al. Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 30, 2015.