Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Artist Back at the Drawing Board After A Stroke
Shirley and Bob Gessner have weathered some tough times during their 56 years of marriage. But nothing could have prepared Shirley for the night of April 10, 2015, when she awoke at 3:30 a.m. to a thud ? the sound of her husband falling out of bed. ?I asked him what was the matter, but [...]
Teacher Smelling the Roses Again Thanks to Minimally Invasive Heart Procedures
For years, Lucy Lorden suffered from an irregular heartbeat and shortness of breath. But one April morning in 2014, the Ormond Beach, Florida, elementary school teacher was barely able to walk from the parking lot to her classroom. Thinking she had pneumonia, Lucy, then 56, went to see her primary care doctor. “The doctor told [...]
Aug. 12, 2017
- Atrial fibrillation. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/af/. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Atrial fibrillation. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Prystowsky EN, et al. Treatment of atrial fibrillation. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2015;314:278.
- Atrial fibrillation. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fs_atrial_fibrillation.htm. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Atrial fibrillation: Clinical features, mechanisms, and management. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- January CT, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: Executive summary. A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2014;64:2246.
- Atrial fibrillation (Afib or AF). American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Atrial-Fibrillation-AF-or-AFib_UCM_302027_Article.jsp#.ViKdE_lViko. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- High blood pressure, Afib, and your risk of stroke. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/High-Blood-Pressure-Afib-and-Your-Risk-of-Stroke_UCM_443852_Article.jsp. Accessed Oct. 14, 2015.
- Ganz LI. Control of ventricular rate in atrial fibrillation: Pharmacologic therapy. https://uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 14, 2015.
- Kumar K. Antiarrhythmic drugs to maintain sinus rhythm in patients with atrial fibrillation: Recommendations. https://uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 14, 2015.
- January CT, et al. 2014 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation. A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2014;64:e1.
- Living with an arrhythmia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arr/livingwith#. Accessed Oct. 14, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 5, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Atrial fibrillation (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Camm AJ, et al. Left atrial appendage closure: A new technique for clinical practice. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11:514.
- Holmes DR, et al. Left atrial appendage and closure: Who, when, and how. Circulation. Cardiovascular Interventions. 2016;9:e002942.
- Saw J. Percutaneous left atrial appendage closure. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2014;7:1205.