- Heart rhythm disorders expertise. Mayo Clinic staff in the Heart Rhythm Clinic has extensive experience and expertise in diagnosing and treating people with atrial fibrillation and other heart rhythm disorders. Doctors evaluate and treat around 25,000 people with atrial fibrillation each year.
- Research. Doctors at Mayo Clinic actively conduct research in atrial fibrillation and other heart rhythm disorders and conduct clinical trials.
- Comprehensive cardiovascular treatment and research. Doctors in Mayo Clinic's Cardiovascular Research Center are focused on developing cutting-edge diagnostic tests and innovative treatments for people with cardiovascular disease.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's cardiac surgery and cardiovascular diseases departments' expertise and rankings.
Aug. 12, 2017
- Atrial fibrillation. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/af/. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Atrial fibrillation. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Prystowsky EN, et al. Treatment of atrial fibrillation. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2015;314:278.
- Atrial fibrillation. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fs_atrial_fibrillation.htm. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Atrial fibrillation: Clinical features, mechanisms, and management. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- January CT, et al. 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: Executive summary. A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2014;64:2246.
- Atrial fibrillation (Afib or AF). American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Atrial-Fibrillation-AF-or-AFib_UCM_302027_Article.jsp#.ViKdE_lViko. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- High blood pressure, Afib, and your risk of stroke. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MyHeartandStrokeNews/High-Blood-Pressure-Afib-and-Your-Risk-of-Stroke_UCM_443852_Article.jsp. Accessed Oct. 14, 2015.
- Ganz LI. Control of ventricular rate in atrial fibrillation: Pharmacologic therapy. https://uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 14, 2015.
- Kumar K. Antiarrhythmic drugs to maintain sinus rhythm in patients with atrial fibrillation: Recommendations. https://uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 14, 2015.
- January CT, et al. 2014 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation. A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2014;64:e1.
- Living with an arrhythmia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arr/livingwith#. Accessed Oct. 14, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 5, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Atrial fibrillation (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Camm AJ, et al. Left atrial appendage closure: A new technique for clinical practice. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11:514.
- Holmes DR, et al. Left atrial appendage and closure: Who, when, and how. Circulation. Cardiovascular Interventions. 2016;9:e002942.
- Saw J. Percutaneous left atrial appendage closure. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions. 2014;7:1205.