Mayo Clinic's approach
Mayo Clinic in Arizona has performed bariatric surgery procedures since 2001. Medically supervised interventions comprise: nutrition therapy, behavior modification, pharmacotherapy and weight-loss surgery, including laparoscopic adjustable gastric band, Roux-en-y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy. Minimally invasive surgery is the preferred approach. For out-of-state patients, we offer efficient, condensed scheduling. We will work with providers in your area to meet your needs.
Bariatric Program informational seminars
Mayo Clinic conducts regular informational seminars for people interested in learning more about the medical and surgical options available through the Mayo Clinic Bariatric Program. The interactive seminars, conducted by doctors and other members of the bariatric treatment team, include:
- A description of Mayo Clinic's multidisciplinary program
- Answers to questions about care and precertification
- Details about the registration process
Seminars are free of charge and open to anyone considering bariatric surgery. Feel free to bring family and friends.
The Bariatric Program informational seminars are held on select Tuesday and Thursday evenings at Mayo Clinic Hospital, room 1-115 (across from the Gift Shop on the first floor). To register, or for questions, call the Central Appointment Office at 800-446-2279 (toll-free).
If you have questions about the bariatric program, call 480-342-1026 to speak with our bariatric representative. Or send an email to: email@example.com.
A team of specialists works together to develop bariatric treatment plans tailored to your needs. Your team can include experts in Endocrinology, General Surgery, Community Internal Medicine, Psychiatry and Psychology, Dietetics and other specialists, as needed.
Bariatric Surgery Support Group
The Bariatric Surgery Support Group meets on the third Saturday of every other month starting in January from 9 to 11:00 am at Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix (Room 1-212, near the hospital entrance).
Mayo Clinic's campus in Florida has a dedicated Bariatric Center to help people struggling with obesity gain control of their weight. The Mayo Clinic team has a combined experience of more than 75 years caring for bariatric surgery patients.
A team of specialists work together to develop bariatric treatment plans tailored to each person's needs. Your team can include bariatric specialists from Endocrinology, General Surgery, Psychiatry and Psychology, Community Internal Medicine, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Nutrition, and other specialties, as needed.
Evaluation and appointments
The evaluation process usually takes about three to eight months. It may be longer than eight months before the surgery due to insurance processing and scheduling. The preliminary evaluation for bariatric surgery in Florida can be completed in one day.
Physician referrals are not required but are encouraged. However, patients should have a primary care physician that the bariatric team can communicate with to help ensure the best continuity care possible for patients. To begin the appointment process, call the Central Appointment Office at Mayo Clinic's Florida campus, 904-953-0853.
Mayo Clinic surgeons in Minnesota perform over 300 bariatric surgeries each year. Several surgeons at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota have particular expertise in repairing previously unsuccessful bariatric surgeries, as well as treating severely obese people. Bariatric surgery is available for adults and adolescents who meet certain criteria.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., continues to be recognized as an American College of Surgeons Level 1 Accredited Bariatric Center, the highest level of accreditation in bariatric surgery. Because of this accreditation, Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., has also met Medicare's facility standards for bariatric surgery. Bariatric surgery accreditation promotes standard benchmarks and supports continuous quality improvement.
The Mayo Clinic bariatric care team in Minnesota consists of experts from Endocrinology, Dietetics, Psychiatry and Psychology, Gastroenterologic and General Surgery, and other specialists, as needed.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester holds a monthly bariatric surgery information session. The sessions are conducted by a surgeon and a bariatric surgery coordinator. There is no charge for the sessions and they are open to anyone who has questions about bariatric surgery. Information session schedule (PDF).
To begin the bariatric surgery process at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, use one of the following contact options:
- Weight Management Registered Nurse: Phone: 507-538-1565, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central time, Monday through Friday.
- Endocrinology: 507-284-1600, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time, Monday through Friday
The length of time from your initial appointment to the date of surgery is usually about six to nine months. Your preliminary evaluation at Mayo Clinic in Rochester may last two to three days. If you are some distance from Mayo Clinic, you may be referred to a care provider in your local area to complete a portion of the evaluation. Near the end of the evaluation, you will meet with a surgeon to decide how to proceed.
For questions about the cost of bariatric surgery, call Mayo Clinic Estimating Service at 507-284-4024.
Expertise and rankings
- Experience. Surgeons at all three Mayo Clinic locations perform more than 500 weight-loss surgeries each year.
- Positive results. In a study of patients who had weight loss surgery at Mayo Clinic, 72 percent of people who were followed maintained long-term weight loss of 50 percent or more of excess body weight after three years. Only 10 percent of patients had complications following surgery.
- Complex cases. Mayo Clinic specializes in repairing problems resulting from previous bariatric surgery, and performing bariatric surgery in patients with complicated medical histories who may not qualify for surgery at other institutions.
- Minimally invasive approach. Mayo Clinic uses minimally invasive techniques for bariatric surgery whenever possible. This approach offers smaller incisions, less pain, shorter hospital stays and faster recovery than traditional open surgery.
- Team approach. A team of medical experts, including endocrinologists, surgeons, dietitians and psychologists, helps identify candidates who could most benefit from surgery and works intensively with you before and after surgery to help achieve a long-lasting result. After the first year, follow-up care can be conducted by your hometown doctor, working closely with the Mayo team.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked highly performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.