Neck pain is a common problem, affecting many adults at some time in their lives. Neck pain can involve just the neck and shoulders, or it may radiate down an arm. The pain can be dull or feel like an electric shock into your arm. Certain other signs and symptoms, such as numbness or muscle weakness in an arm, can help pinpoint the cause of your neck pain.
Sept. 01, 2020
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest health information.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
- Neck pain. American College of Rheumatology. http://www.rheumatology.org/Practice/Clinical/Patients/Diseases_And_Conditions/Neck_Pain/. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Chronic neck pain tip sheet. American Osteopathic Association. tps://www.osteopathic.org/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=Chronic neck pain. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Isaac Z. Evaluation of the patient with neck pain and cervical spine disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Chiropractic and neck pain. American Chiropractic Association. https://www.acatoday.org/content_css.cfm?CID=2430. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Neck pain. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00231. Accessed June 11, 2015.
- Isaac Z. Treatment of neck pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 11, 2015.