Heel pain usually affects the underside or back of your heel. Although heel pain is rarely a symptom of a serious condition, it can interfere with your normal activities, particularly exercise.
March 10, 2021
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing!
You'll soon start receiving the latest Mayo Clinic health information you requested in your inbox.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
- Buchbinder R. Plantar fasciitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 14, 2015.
- Heel pain. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00159. Accessed Dec. 14, 2015.
- Chorley J, et al. Heel pain in the active child or skeletally immature adolescent: Overview of causes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 14, 2015.
- Heel pain. American Podiatric Medical Association. http://www.apma.org/Learn/FootHealth.cfm?ItemNumber=985. Accessed Dec. 14, 2015.
- Agyekum EK, et al. Heel pain: A systematic review. Chinese Journal of Traumatology. 2015;18:164.
- Thomas JL, et al. The diagnosis and treatment of heel pain: A clinical practice guideline — Revision 2010. Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery. 2010;49:S1.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 18, 2015.