Dark circles under your eyes happen when the skin beneath both eyes appears darkened. It's different from bruising around one eye from an injury or redness and swelling in one eye caused by an infection.
Dark circles under your eyes usually are not a sign of a medical problem.
Sept. 18, 2021
Get the latest health advice from Mayo Clinic delivered
to your inbox.
Sign up for free, and stay up-to-date on research
advancements, health tips and current health topics,
like COVID-19, plus expert advice on managing your health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information and to understand which
is beneficial, we may combine your e-mail and website usage information with other
information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic Patient,
this could include Protected Health Information (PHI). If we combine this information
with your PHI, we will treat all of that information as PHI,
and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of privacy
practices. You may opt-out of e-mail communications
at any time by clicking on the Unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for Subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date
on the latest health information.
We’re sorry! Our system isn’t working. Please try again.
Something went wrong on our side, please try again.
- Friedmann DP, et al. Dark circles: Etiology and management options. Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 2015;42:33.
- Vrcek I, et al. Infraorbital dark circles: A review of the pathogenesis, evaluation and treatment. Journal of Cutaneous Aesthetic Surgery. 2016;9:65.
- Matsui MS, et al. Physiological and lifestyle factors contributing to risk and severity of peri-orbital dark circles in the Brazilian population. Anais Brasileiros de Dermatologia. 2015;90:494.
- Sarkar R, et al. Periorbital hyperpigmentation: A comprehensive review. The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology. 2016;9:49.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 5, 2016.