Having cold hands even when you're not in a cold environment is common. Often, having cold hands is a part of your body's natural response to regulate your body temperature and shouldn't be cause for concern.
But if you have persistently cold hands, particularly if accompanied by color changes, it could be a warning sign. For example, having cold hands could mean you have a problem with the nerves or blood circulation or a problem with tissue damage in your hands or fingers. If you are outside in extreme cold weather and you have cold hands, you should watch for warning signs of frostbite.
Other signs and symptoms to watch for when you have cold hands include:
Nov. 30, 2018
- Cold feet or toes
- Changes to the color of the skin on your hands, such as blue or white skin
- Numbness or tingling
- Open sores or blisters
- Tightened or hardened skin
- Raynaud's. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/raynaud/. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Buerger disease. Genetics and Rare Diseases Information Center. https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/5969/buerger-disease. Accessed Nov. 26, 2018.
- Schur PH, et al. Overview of the clinical manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Frostbite. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/staysafe/frostbite.asp. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- What is anemia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/anemia/. Accessed March 7, 2015.
- Peripheral neuropathy. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/neuropathy/peripheral-neuropathy.html. Accessed March 7, 2015.
- Handout on health: Scleroderma. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Scleroderma/default.asp. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Varga J. et al. Scleroderma-systemic sclerosis. In: Clinical Immunology: Principles and Practices. 5th edition. Elsevier; 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com.