Is phentermine a good option for weight loss?
Answer From Meera Shah, M.D.
Phentermine (Adipex-P, Lomaira) is an amphetamine-like prescription medication used to suppress appetite. It can help weight loss by decreasing your hunger or making you feel full longer. Phentermine is also available in combination with topiramate for weight loss (Qsymia).
Like other prescription weight-loss drugs, phentermine is intended to be used as part of an overall weight-loss plan. It is indicated for people who are obese, and who have failed to lose enough weight with diet and exercise alone — not for people who want to lose just a few pounds.
Phentermine is a Schedule IV drug, a classification given to drugs that have a potential for abuse, although the actual potential appears to be low.
Common side effects of phentermine include:
- Increased heart rate
- Tingling or prickling feeling in hands or feet
- Dry mouth
Although phentermine is one of the most commonly prescribed weight-loss medications, it isn't a good option if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, an overactive thyroid gland or glaucoma. It also isn't for women who are pregnant, may become pregnant or are breast-feeding.
Sept. 11, 2020
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest health information.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
See more Expert Answers
- Phentermine hydrochloride. Facts & Comparisons. https://www.wolterskluwercdi.com/facts-comparisons-online/. Accessed Jan. 14, 2019.
- Perreault L. Obesity in adults: Drug therapy. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Jan. 14, 2019.
- Phentermine. Micromedex 2.0 Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Jan. 14. 2019.
- Apovian CM, et al. Pharmacological management of obesity: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2015;100:342.
- Phentermine hydrochloride/topiramate. Facts & Comparisons. https://www.wolterskluwercdi.com/facts-comparisons-online/. Accessed Jan. 14, 2019.