If your son has a retractile testicle, he might be sensitive about his appearance. He might have anxieties about looking different from friends or classmates. To help your son cope:
Sept. 16, 2015
- Explain in simple terms what a retractile testicle is.
- Remind him that there's nothing wrong with him.
- Explain that the position of the testicle is something you, your son and his doctor will pay attention to and fix, if necessary.
- Help him practice a response if he's teased or asked about the condition.
- Buy loosefitting boxer shorts and swim trunks that might make the condition less noticeable when changing clothes and playing sports at school.
- Be aware of signs of anxiety, such as not participating in sports that he would normally enjoy.
- Keys C, et al. Retractile testes: A review of the current literature. Journal of Pediatric Urology. 2012;8:2.
- Kliegman RM, et al., eds. Disorders and anomalies of the scrotal content. In: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 20th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Cooper CS, et al. Undescended testes (cryptorchidism) in children: Clinical features and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Agarwal PK, et al. Retractile testis—Is it really a normal variant? Journal of Urology. 2006;175:1496.
- Gearhart JP, et al., eds. Cryptorchidism. In: Pediatric Urology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Hack WW, et al. Acquired undescended testis: Putting the pieces together. International Journal of Andrology. 2012;35:41.
- Stec AA, et al. Incidence of testicular ascent in boys with retractile testes. Journal of Urology. 2007;178:1722.
- Cooper CS, et al. Undescended testes (cryptorchidism) in children: Overview of management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Kolon TF, et al. Evaluation and treatment of cryptorchidism: AUA guideline. Journal of Urology. 2014;192:337.
- Granberg CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 2, 2015.