Prostate cancer care at Mayo Clinic
Mayo physicians collaborate on prostate cancer care
Mayo Clinic oncologists, surgeons and staff collaborate to provide comprehensive care for men with prostate cancer.
At Mayo Clinic, a multidisciplinary team of doctors works together to care for men with prostate cancer and related issues.
Your Mayo Clinic care team
- Expertise across all disciplines. Mayo Clinic physicians are highly skilled not in some aspects of prostate cancer care, but across all specialties involved in care for these patients.
- Collaboration. Mayo Clinic urologists, oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists and radiologists rely on strong collaboration and multidisciplinary discussion to provide comprehensive care to each person seen with prostate cancer.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors care for more than 12,000 men with prostate cancer every year. That extensive experience means your care team is prepared with the knowledge and resources to provide you with exactly the diagnoses, treatments and follow-up care you need.
- A full range of treatments to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to men with prostate cancer includes active surveillance, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, cryosurgery, chemotherapy and surgery, including robotic prostatectomy.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Mayo physicians leverage advanced technology for prostate cancer care
Mayo Clinic physicians confer on diagnostic options as needed for each person's care.
Cutting-edge diagnostic options
- Mayo Clinic is the first medical center in the United States approved by the Food and Drug Administration to prepare and administer C-11 choline PET scanning to help detect recurrent prostate cancer at its earliest stages — before it can be detected by other imaging tests — and enable more-precise targeting for follow-up treatment.
- Mayo Clinic is also leveraging MRI-TRUS fusion technology, which blends (fuses) images from an MRI scan and transrectal ultrasound (TRUS) to create a more-precise 360-degree prostate map, which in turn can improve prostate biopsy accuracy.
- Doctors in Mayo Clinic's Center for Individualized Medicine are advancing research on the use of biomarkers in blood and in prostate tissue to better individualize and optimize treatment for men with prostate cancer. The technology helps caregivers distinguish between insignificant and significant prostate cancer, as well as identify particularly aggressive prostate cancer in men undergoing surgery.
The latest treatment options
- Mayo Clinic surgeons have been performing and perfecting the radical prostatectomy procedure for decades and have contributed significant advances in the understanding of robotic prostatectomy technology and techniques.
Mayo Clinic radiation oncologists are experts in planning treatment that targets prostate cancer cells and spares as much nearby healthy tissue as possible.
Mayo Clinic leverages the latest radiation therapy techniques, including:
Mayo Clinic leverages proton beam technology for more-precise prostate cancer care
A Mayo care team and patient discuss the proton beam procedure.
Additionally, Mayo Clinic's Proton Beam Therapy Program in Arizona and Minnesota offers a new radiotherapy option to men with prostate cancer who can benefit from highly targeted precision beam therapy. Intensity-modulated proton beam therapy with pencil beam scanning can destroy cancer while sparing healthy tissue, with fewer side effects.
Comprehensive cancer center
Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., have been ranked among the best urology hospitals in the nation for 2018-2019 by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for urology. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
The Mayo Clinic experience and patient stories
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
Innovative Imaging Charts Course to Successful Cancer Treatment
When Bruce McVety's prostate cancer returned after a seven-year remission, his doctor suggested he go to Mayo Clinic to receive a test that wasn't available locally. Bruce listened. Today, after comprehensive treatment, the cancer is undetectable, and Bruce is grateful for his renewed health. As a pastor and retired police officer, Bruce McVety is no [...]
Winning Against All Odds
Andy Steinfeldt discovered his love of running late in life. When a series of medical conditions and complications threatened his newfound hobby, he refused to accept a future where he wasn't able to compete. As a high schooler, Andy Steinfeldt wasn't an athlete. He never won a ribbon or medal for anything fitness related. But [...]
New Imaging Technology Inspires One Couple to Invest in Mayo Clinic
After John Sullivan experienced the benefits of a Choline C-11 PET scan when he had a recurrence of prostate cancer, he and his fianc?e, Sheri Butler, were motivated to become benefactors and advocates for the expansion of Mayo Clinic's Florida campus. The future is clear for John Sullivan of Ocala, Florida, and his fianc?e, Sheri [...]
Expertise and rankings
Mayo physicians bring nationally ranked urologic and surgical expertise to prostate cancer care
Mayo Clinic offers strong expertise across the spectrum of prostate cancer care.
Men with prostate cancer who seek care at Mayo Clinic have access to a full range of treatment options. Your care team determines which treatments are most effective in your specific situation and works closely with you to choose the treatments that meet your needs and preferences.
Mayo Clinic doctors offer special expertise in several prostate cancer treatment areas.
Research shows that doctors who perform many prostate surgeries and work in medical centers that care for many men undergoing prostate surgery generally provide superior outcomes.
Mayo Clinic offers both open and robotic radical prostatectomy surgeries.
Mayo surgery team performs a robotic prostatectomy
Mayo Clinic has extensive experience in robotic prostatectomy.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., rank among the best hospitals for urology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings, and are nationally ranked among the best hospitals for cancer care. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is highly ranked nationally for urology and cancer care.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.