Prostate cancer care at Mayo Clinic
Physician consultation on prostate cancer
Your Mayo Clinic care team
At Mayo Clinic, a multidisciplinary team of experts works together to care for people with prostate cancer. Benefits of the team approach include:
- Expertise across all disciplines. Mayo Clinic physicians are highly skilled not in some aspects of prostate cancer care, but across all specialties involved in care for these patients.
- Collaboration. Mayo Clinic urologists, oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists and radiologists rely on strong collaboration and multidisciplinary discussion to provide comprehensive care to each person seen with prostate cancer.
- A full range of treatments to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered for prostate cancer includes active surveillance, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, cryosurgery, chemotherapy and surgery, including robotic prostatectomy.
Mayo physicians leverage advanced technology for prostate cancer care
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Mayo Clinic specialists have access to the latest diagnosis and treatment innovations in order to provide you with an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment plan. This includes:
- Detecting cancer recurrence sooner. Mayo Clinic was the first medical center to receive U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval to prepare and administer the choline C-11 PET scan. This innovative test helps detect prostate cancer that returns after treatment before other imaging tests, making it possible to target and treat prostate cancer recurrence sooner.
- Using imaging to improve diagnosis. Mayo Clinic doctors use MRI-TRUS fusion technology, which blends (fuses) images from an MRI scan and transrectal ultrasound (TRUS) to create a more-precise 360-degree prostate map, which in turn can improve prostate biopsy accuracy.
- Personalizing treatment based on individual risk. Doctors in Mayo Clinic's Center for Individualized Medicine are advancing research on the use of biomarkers in blood and tissue to better individualize and optimize treatment for people cancer.
- Making surgery less invasive and more effective. Mayo Clinic surgeons have been performing and perfecting the radical prostatectomy procedure for decades. They have contributed significant advances in the understanding of robotic prostatectomy technology and techniques, including performing the procedure with just one small incision near the bellybutton.
- Precisely planning radiation to reduce side effects. Mayo Clinic radiation oncologists are experts in planning radiation treatment that targets prostate cancer cells and spares as much nearby healthy tissue as possible. Mayo Clinic offers the latest in prostate cancer radiation options, including proton beam therapy.
Mayo Clinic leverages proton beam technology for more-precise prostate cancer care
A Mayo care team and patient discuss the proton beam procedure.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo physicians bring nationally ranked urologic and surgical expertise to prostate cancer care
Mayo Clinic doctors are widely respected for the experience and expertise in caring for people with prostate cancer. When you seek care at Mayo Clinic, you can expect:
Personalized care. Mayo Clinic urologists, oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists and radiologists work together to ensure all of your needs are addressed when creating your customized treatment plan.
At Mayo Clinic you have access to a full range of treatment options. Your care team determines which treatments are most effective in your specific situation and works closely with you to choose the treatments that meet your needs and preferences.
Experience you can trust. Each year, more than 17,000 people with prostate cancer receive care at Mayo Clinic. This experience means your care team is prepared with knowledge and resources to provide you with exactly the care you need.
Research shows that doctors who perform many prostate surgeries and work in medical centers that care for many men undergoing prostate surgery generally provide superior outcomes.
- Nationally recognized expertise. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets the strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognize scientific excellence and a multispecialty approach focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., have been ranked among the Best Hospitals for urology and cancer in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.