While you may initially consult your family physician, he or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in foot disorders or sports medicine.
What you can do
You may want to write a list that includes:
- Your symptoms, and when they started
- Key personal information, including your and your family's medical history and activities you do that could have contributed to your symptoms
- All the medications, vitamins or other supplements you take, including doses
- Questions to ask the doctor
For plantar fasciitis, basic questions to ask your doctor include:
- What's likely causing my symptoms?
- Other than the most likely cause, what are other possible causes for my symptoms?
- What tests do I need?
- Is my condition likely temporary or chronic?
- What's the best course of action?
- What are the alternatives to the primary approach you're suggesting?
- Are there restrictions I need to follow?
- Should I see a specialist?
- Are there brochures or other printed material I can have? What websites do you recommend?
Don't hesitate to ask other questions.
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you questions, such as:
- Do your symptoms tend to occur at a particular time of day?
- What types of shoes do you usually wear?
- Are you a runner, or do you participate in any sports that involve running?
- Do you have a physically demanding job?
- Have you had problems with your feet before?
- Do you feel pain anywhere besides your feet?
- What, if anything, seems to improve your symptoms?
- What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?
Aug. 11, 2017
- Buchbinder R. Plantar fasciitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 27, 2016.
- Plantar fasciitis. American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society. http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-heel/pages/plantar-fasciitis.aspx. Accessed Sept. 27, 2016.
- Plantar fasciitis and bone spurs. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00149. Accessed Oct. 14, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Plantar fasciitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.