Mood disorders care at Mayo Clinic
- Experience. Mental health specialists at Mayo Clinic treat more than 10,000 people with mood disorders every year, including people with treatment-resistant mood disorders.
- Multispecialty team approach. Mayo Clinic experts in psychiatry and psychology services use a team approach to evaluate and diagnose mood disorders. Compassionate psychiatrists, psychologists and other mental health professionals listen patiently to thoroughly understand your concerns, health issues and experience with mood disorders to create a treatment plan suited to your needs.
- Innovative care approach. Mayo Clinic mental health experts also work within the primary care clinics to provide evidence-based psychological and medication treatments for mood disorders. Social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists and nurses collaborate with primary care teams to improve access to effective mood disorder treatments.
- Latest diagnostic and treatment options. Your treatment may include medications, psychotherapy or other therapies. In consultation, Mayo providers may use genetic tests to help determine how your body is processing various antidepressant drugs. Doctors will work with you to carefully monitor medications.
- Residential services. With a 2018 opening, the John E. Herman Home and Treatment Facility at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota is a residential treatment program designed for adults living with the serious mental challenges of psychotic, mood and personality disorders who desire to succeed in their recovery and need extended support to manage their illness.
- Research to improve treatment. Mayo Clinic experts conduct and participate in the latest research to determine the causes of mood disorders and improve effective treatments. You may be eligible to participate in clinical research studies and genomics testing related to treatment of mood disorders.
Expertise and rankings
- Outstanding ranking. Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, is consistently ranked among the Best Hospitals for psychiatry by U.S. News & World Report.
- Expertise in treating adults. Highly skilled experts in the Department of Psychiatry and Psychology diagnose and treat mood disorders. Mayo Clinic Depression Center at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota offers an Adult Mood Clinic and Adult Mood Program for outpatients, and an inpatient Adult Mood Disorders Unit.
- Expertise in treating children. At Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota, experts in childhood mood disorders provide a Pediatric Mood Clinic, the Child Adolescent and Family Unit, as well as a two-week outpatient group program for youths called Child and Adolescent Integrated Mood Program (CAIMP).
- Unique, successful program for children and teens. The Pediatric Anxiety Disorders Clinic and the Pediatric Mood Clinic at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota provide special expertise in diagnosing and treating children and teens. The clinics provide advanced, evidence-based medical and psychological treatment for mood disorders.
- New developments in the evaluation and treatment of anxiety. The Mayo Clinic research team has developed Mayo Clinic Anxiety Coach, an iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch app for anxiety management in children. Researchers also developed an electronic assessment system for evaluating pediatric psychiatric symptoms.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Dec. 20, 2018
Products & Services