Simple liver cysts are fluid-filled cavities in the liver. Usually, they cause no signs or symptoms and need no treatment. However, they may become large enough to cause pain or discomfort in the upper right part of the abdomen.
Most liver cysts can be detected on ultrasound or computerized tomography (CT) scans. When needed, treatment may include drainage or removal of the cyst.
The cause of simple liver cysts isn't known. They may be the result of a malformation present at birth. Rarely, liver cysts may indicate a serious, underlying condition such as:
- Polycystic liver disease, an inherited disorder
- Echinococcus infection, a parasitic infection
- Liver cancer
Feb. 16, 2022
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing!
You'll soon start receiving the latest Mayo Clinic health information you requested in your inbox.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
See more Expert Answers
- Yeo CJ, ed. Hepatic cysts. In: Shackelford's Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. 8th ed. Elsevier; 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 20, 2022.
- Regev A, et al. Diagnosis and management of cystic lesions of the liver. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Jan. 20, 2022.
- Feldman M, et al., eds. Hepatic tumors and cysts. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 11th ed. Elsevier; 2021. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 20, 2022.