Drug addiction care at Mayo Clinic
- Experience. Mayo Clinic experts in Addiction Services and Psychiatry and Psychology Services treat thousands of people each year who have an addiction to alcohol or drugs.
- Comprehensive care. Mayo Clinic offers a comprehensive assessment of your alcohol or other substance use, mental health concerns, and medical status. Treatment for addictions and mental health issues are incorporated into a single personalized treatment plan. You also have access to the extensive medical and psychiatric services at Mayo Clinic, if needed.
- Patient-staff ratio. The ratio of 1 counselor or therapist for every 4 to 5 patients ensures that you receive the individualized approach you need to accomplish your treatment goals.
- Treatment offerings. Mayo Clinic's continuum of addiction services includes a state-of-the-art 30-day intensive program with on-site residence. In this highly confidential and professional setting, patients form a small community and receive 24/7 support in establishing their sobriety and developing recovery skills. Other treatment options include various outpatient program levels of care, including a one-month outpatient treatment program and continuing care programs to assist with extended recovery efforts.
Expertise and rankings
- Expertise. A doctor with advanced specialized training in the treatment of addiction, called an addiction psychiatrist, coordinates the treatment programs and all of your care. You'll work closely with a licensed alcohol and drug addiction counselor or a licensed clinical social worker, and nursing staff who specialize in addiction treatment.
- Outstanding ranking. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, is consistently ranked among the Best Hospitals for psychiatry by U.S. News & World Report.
- New developments in the treatment of addiction. Mayo's addiction programs incorporate advances in the medical understanding of addiction and associated medical and emotional problems. The goal of treatment is to prevent relapse and improve quality of life by providing the most up-to-date care in a highly professional setting.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
Oct. 26, 2017
Drug addiction (substance use disorder)