DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Diaper rash is a common form of inflamed skin (dermatitis) that appears as a patchwork of bright red skin on your baby's bottom.
Diaper rash is often related to wet or infrequently changed diapers, skin sensitivity, and chafing. It usually affects babies, though anyone who wears a diaper regularly can develop the condition.
Diaper rash can alarm parents and annoy babies. But it usually clears up with simple at-home treatments, such as air drying, more frequent diaper changes and ointment.
May 08, 2015
- What can I do if my baby gets diaper rash? American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/diapers-clothing/pages/Diaper-Rash-Solution.aspx. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Diaper dermatitis (pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Horii KA, et al. Overview of diaper dermatitis in infants and children. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Buttaravoli P, et al. Diaper dermatitis. In: Minor Emergencies. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012.
- Klunk C, et al. An update on diaper dermatitis. Clinics in Dermatology. 2014;32:477.
- Farahani LA, et al. Comparison of the effect of human milk and topical hydrocortisone 1 percent on diaper dermatitis. Pediatric Dermatology. 2013;30:725.
- Gozen D, et al. Diaper dermatitis care of newborns: Human breast milk or barrier cream. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2014;23:515. www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Hajbaghery AM, et al. Shampoo-clay heals diaper rash faster than calendula officinalis. Nurse Midwifery Studies. 2014;3:e14180.
- Calendula. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Diaper rash. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Ravanfar P, et al. Diaper dermatitis: A review and update. Current Opinions in Pediatrics. 2012;24:472.
- Borkowski S. Diaper rash care and management. Pediatric Nursing. 2004;30:467.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 20, 2015.