What are the symptoms of bladder infection in men?
Answer From Patricio C. Gargollo, M.D.
Although bladder infections are more common in women, men can get them, too. Signs and symptoms of bladder infection (cystitis) in men include:
- Frequent urination
- Strong, persistent urge to urinate (urgency)
- Burning or tingling sensation during or just after urination (dysuria)
- Low-grade fever
- Cloudy urine with a strong odor
- Blood in urine (hematuria)
- Trouble urinating, especially if you have a problem with your prostate
Increased risk of bladder infection in men may be linked to:
- An enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH)
- Kidney stones
- Abnormal narrowing of the urethra (urethral stricture)
- Recent use of a tube to drain your bladder (urinary catheter)
- Having a procedure done where an instrument is inserted into the urethra, the opening at the tip of the penis where urine leaves the body
Treatment of a bladder infection depends on the cause, but typically includes antibiotics.
Patricio C. Gargollo, M.D.
June 03, 2022
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Sign up for free, and stay up to date on research advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid email address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which
information is beneficial, we may combine your email and website usage information with
other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this could
include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected
health information, we will treat all of that information as protected health
information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of
privacy practices. You may opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe link in the e-mail.
Thank you for subscribing!
You'll soon start receiving the latest Mayo Clinic health information you requested in your inbox.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
See more Expert Answers
- Bacterial urinary tract infections. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary-disorders/urinary-tract-infections-utis/bacterial-urinary-tract-infections. Accessed June 10, 2020.
- Hooton TM. Acute simple cystitis in men. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed June 10, 2020.
- Bladder infection (urinary tract infection) in adults. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/urologic-diseases/bladder-infection-uti-in-adults/all-content. Accessed June 10, 2020.