Cleft lip and cleft palate care at Mayo Clinic
- Extensive experience. Mayo Clinic specialists treat hundreds of children each year who have cleft lip and cleft palate, including the most complicated cases.
- Multispecialty team approach. Mayo's team at the Cleft and Craniofacial Clinic in Minnesota includes experts from various specialties, depending on your child's needs. Directed by plastic surgeons, the team may include specialists in ear, nose and throat (ENT) and oral surgery, orthodontics, speech, hearing, psychology, genetics, social services, and others.
- Specialized treatment plan. The Cleft and Craniofacial Clinic team conducts a complete evaluation of your child's condition. Then the team members meet to discuss their findings and develop a personalized treatment plan, tailored to your child's needs.
- Coordination with other care areas. Nurturing, child-centered care is provided by Mayo Clinic Children's Center, a family-friendly environment. If needed, Mayo Clinic's team of pain management experts can help prevent and relieve your child's pain.
Expertise and rankings
- Integrated expertise. Experts from many specialty areas may be part of your team. The Cleft and Craniofacial Clinic provides integrated case management to assure quality, continuity of care and long-term follow-up.
- Innovative technology and treatments. Mayo Clinic offers the latest in technology, including advanced diagnostic and treatment methods.
- Research to advance progress in patient care. In the Center for Regenerative Medicine, Mayo Clinic plastic surgeons, ENTs and researchers are developing regenerative medicine-based treatments for people with congenital anomalies of the face, such as cleft lip and cleft palate and other reconstructive needs.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.
May 22, 2018
Cleft lip and cleft palate