Atrial fibrillation care at Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic doctors trained in evaluating and treating cardiovascular medicine (cardiologists), cardiovascular surgery (cardiovascular surgeons) and other specialists work together to evaluate and treat people with atrial fibrillation and other heart rhythm conditions.
- Your Mayo Clinic care team. Mayo doctors get to know you and your concerns completely, and explain your options in plain language. Doctors work with you to provide exactly the care you need. A detailed itinerary for appointments, tests and procedures lets you make the most of your time at the clinic. Mayo staff completes all tests and labs at Mayo Clinic, which means tests taken in the morning can be reviewed the same afternoon. This collaborative approach means doctors can often evaluate you and develop a treatment plan within two or three days.
- Advanced diagnosis and treatment. Mayo Clinic doctors use the most current technology to treat atrial fibrillation and other heart rhythm disorders, including cardiac ablation. Treatments to prevent strokes in patients with atrial fibrillation include left atrial appendage closure.
- Comprehensive cardiovascular research. Doctors in Mayo Clinic's Cardiovascular Research Center are focused on developing cutting-edge diagnostic tests and innovative treatments for people with cardiovascular disease.
Expertise and rankings
Mayo Clinic staff in the Heart Rhythm Clinic has extensive experience and expertise in diagnosing and treating people with atrial fibrillation and other heart rhythm disorders. Mayo Clinic doctors evaluate and treat more than 30,000 people with atrial fibrillation each year.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic campuses are nationally recognized for expertise in cardiology and cardiovascular surgery:
- Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester is ranked the No. 1 hospital in Minnesota, and the five-state region of Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin, according to U.S. News & World Report's 2022–2023 "Best Children's Hospitals" rankings.
- Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida, are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's Cardiovascular Surgery and Cardiovascular Medicine departments' expertise and rankings.
Locations, travel and lodging
Mayo Clinic has major campuses in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona; Jacksonville, Florida; and Rochester, Minnesota. The Mayo Clinic Health System has dozens of locations in several states.
For more information on visiting Mayo Clinic, choose your location below:
Costs and insurance
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people.
In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals, or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Learn more about appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Please contact your insurance company to verify medical coverage and to obtain any needed authorization prior to your visit. Often, your insurer's customer service number is printed on the back of your insurance card.