People with chronic pain generally have extensive medical histories. A referral from a health care professional is required. Health care professionals may include a primary doctor, a pain specialist, a doctor trained in mental health conditions (psychiatrist or psychologist), a physician assistant or a nurse practitioner.

The referral provides the Pain Rehabilitation Center staff with the necessary background to determine if the rehabilitation approach may be beneficial for the individual.

See Resources for physicians for more information about how to refer a person to the program.