When you seek care from the Mayo Clinic Division of General Internal Medicine, you will find doctors and advanced practice providers dedicated to understanding and managing all aspects of the general health care of adults. You'll also be offered preventive care and disease prevention strategies to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Your care is provided in a clinical environment supported by education and research that yields new medical advances and treatments. Your general internal medicine team provides seamless referral to other Mayo Clinic specialists and services. This method of comprehensive care ensures that you get exactly the care you need.
Mayo Clinic's general internal medicine professionals focus on:
- Comprehensive care for people with undefined symptoms — such as shortness of breath, chest pain, abdominal pain and back pain — who need help in diagnosing their illness
- Collaboration, which means you may be referred to a surgeon or other doctor on Mayo Clinic's multispecialty team of experts
- Preventive medicine care, such as mammograms, Pap smears, cholesterol screening and blood pressure screening
- Communication with your local primary care doctor about ongoing care after you return home, which is especially important if you have one or more chronic medical illnesses, such as high blood pressure and diabetes
Mayo Clinic's Division of General Internal Medicine is one of the largest academic general internal medicine divisions in the world. It has locations in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota. You might also access the clinic's wide range of services for comprehensive health and well-being, including the Executive Health Program, integrative medicine and health, palliative medicine, women's health, the Healthy Living Program and the Nicotine Dependence Center.
Learn more about what to expect when you visit Mayo Clinic and get tips on preparing for your visit so that you get the most benefit. After you return home, it's important that you have a local primary care doctor to oversee your continuing care and prescription refills. With your permission, the Division of General Internal Medicine shares with your local primary care doctor a summary of exam results and care you received while at Mayo Clinic. Mayo Clinic also offers Patient Online Services, including, if you wish, a way for your local doctor to access your health information.
At Mayo Clinic's campus in Phoenix, Arizona, adults from outside Arizona and Phoenix are cared for by doctors and advanced practice providers in the Section of Consultative Medicine. Each person receives personal care and attention, including coordinating all tests and consultations and arranging for an interpreter, if needed.
You'll be teamed with a personal consultative medicine doctor, who conducts a general examination and orders tests and specialty consultations as needed. For the length of your visit, this personal doctor oversees your needs. Everything is well coordinated, and nearly all services are provided under one roof, in one location.
At Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida, you may be cared for by doctors and advanced practice professionals in the following areas:
- Community Internal Medicine, for adult residents of northeast Florida
- Consultative and Diagnostic Medicine, for out-of-town adults with complex medical problems
- Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Clinic
At Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, the following general internal medicine services are available to you:
- Breast Cancer Clinic
- Breast Diagnostic Clinic
- Consultative medicine
- Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Clinic, a two-day education program, including development of an individualized plan for pain management and exercise
- Home Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, in which a multidisciplinary team works to meet the home nutritional needs of a diverse population
- Menopause and Women's Sexual Health Clinic