Tushar C. Patel, M.B., Ch.B., is a physician, scientist, educator and administrator. He has a specialty interest in diseases affecting the liver, with expertise in liver cancers and in transplant hepatology.
As dean for research, Dr. Patel oversees all research programs and activities at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida.
Areas of clinical expertise include:
- Liver cancers, such as hepatocellular cancer and bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
- Biliary tract diseases, such as primary sclerosing cholangitis and primary biliary cholangitis
- Diseases of the liver, such as viral hepatitis, fatty liver disease and cirrhosis
- Providing team-based care in the Liver Transplant Program to patients with end-stage liver disease
- Promoting patients' understanding of their diseases and empowering them to become partners in managing their health
In addition to his clinical activities, Dr. Patel is active in research, education and administration. He has authored expert content and publishes high-impact publications in many different areas related to liver cancers and liver diseases. He serves as a mentor to students, staff and physicians.
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Liver cancer
- Clinical and transplant hepatology
- Liver and biliary cancers
Mayo Clinic locations
Fellow - GastroenterologyMayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Resident - Internal MedicineMayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
MB ChBUniversity of Glasgow, Scotland
Activities and honors
Transplant HepatologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine
GastroenterologyAmerican Board of Internal Medicine