Sebastian Lopez, M.D., is a board certified neurologist, with specialty interest in autoimmune neurological diseases. Dr. Lopez evaluates and treats a broad spectrum of inflammatory disorders that affect the central nervous system. Dr. Lopez did his Neurology residency at Mayo Clinic Florida (2013-2017), where he served as Chief Resident for administration (2016-2017). After graduation, he did a 1 year fellowship in Autoimmune Neurology (2017-2018) and he then completed another fellowship in Neuroimmunology/Multiple Sclerosis (2018-2019) at Mayo Clinic Rochester; he holds the academic rank of Assistant Professor of Neurology.
His research and clinical interest focuses on characterizing the neurologic phenotypes, radiographic biomarkers treatments and outcomes of patients with neuroimmunological disorders and he aspires to develop better treatments for autoimmune neurological disorders.
In addition to his clinical activities, Dr. Lopez is active in research and education. He mentors residents and medical students, Dr. Lopez authors expert content and has published multiple articles in high-impact scientific journals.
His clinical focus includes:
- Expertise in management of multiple autoimmune neurological disorders autoimmune diseases
- Complex coordination of care and diagnosis with a multi-disciplinary team of experts
- Recipient, travel award, American Neurological Association annual meeting, 2018.
- Recipient, Mayo International Health Program Scholarship, 2018.
- Recipient, Department of Neurology Annual Research Award, 2019.
- Recipient, travel award, The European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS) meeting 2019.
- Autoimmune encephalopathy and dementia
- Transverse myelitis and spinal cord disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders
- Paraneoplastic and autoimmune neurological disorders
Mayo Clinic locations
FellowRST Multiple Sclerosis, Programs in Rochester, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
FellowRST Autoimmune Neurology, Programs in Rochester, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Administrative Chief ResidentDepartment of Neurology, Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
ResidencyDepartment of Neurology, Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
InternshipDepartment of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
MDUniversidad Internacional Del Ecuador
Activities and honors
Awards and honors
Travel award for The European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS) meeting 2019European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS)
Department of Neurology Annual Research AwardMayo Clnic
Travel award for 143th American Neurological Association annual meeting American Neurological Association
Mayo International Health Program ScholarshipMayo Clnic
Selected for 12th Annual MASTER MS Fellowship Program The Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers
Magna Cum Laude. Universidad Internacional Del Ecuador
Travel Grant Program for outstanding academic performance Universidad Internacional Del Ecuador
Outstanding Academic Performance Full rights scholarshipUniversidad Internacional Del Ecuador