Angina is a common type of chest pain caused by coronary artery disease. Unstable angina can be a warning sign of a heart attack.
Bone spurs can sometimes interfere with joint function or press on nerves.
A dislocated shoulder occurs when the upper arm bone pops out of its cup-shaped socket. Prompt medical attention is important.
An ectopic pregnancy can't continue normally — but prompt treatment can help prevent life-threatening blood loss.
Reduce eyestrain by following these simple tips.
Frozen shoulder, also known as adhesive capsulitis, is a condition characterized by stiffness, pain and limited motion in the shoulder joint.
Gallstones often don't cause symptoms. But if you have a gallbladder attack, you're not likely to forget it.
Hemophilia occurs when your body lacks one of several clot-forming proteins called clotting factors. The result is prolonged bleeding, which can be life-threatening.
Myocardial ischemia is a heart problem that occurs when blood flow to your heart muscle is decreased, reducing the heart's oxygen supply.
Pleurisy is the painful inflammation of the membranes that surround your lungs. The cause can be one of a number of underlying conditions.
Polymyalgia rheumatica is an inflammatory disorder that causes pain and stiffness in the neck, shoulders, upper arms, hips and thighs.
Pseudotumor cerebri — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of increased pressure inside the skull.
Recurrent breast cancer — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer recurrence.
A rotator cuff injury is a painful shoulder condition often caused by lifting, falling or repetitive motions. Explore treatments including exercise therapy, medications and surgery.
A separated shoulder is an injury to a specific joint in the shoulder. Conservative treatment is usually effective.
If you have symptoms of heart disease, but your doctor doesn't see any blocked major arteries, small vessel disease may be the cause.
Find out about this rare cause of heart attack in young, healthy people.
A tension headache is the most common form of headache. A number of treatments are available to help you deal with the pain.
Thoracic outlet syndrome is a group of disorders that occur when the nerves or vessels in the shoulder area (thoracic outlet) are compressed.
Sep. 11, 2010
- Ferri FF. Shoulder pain. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/book/player/linkTo?type=bookPage&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00054-8--s0170. Accessed Aug. 3, 2010.
- Shoulder pain. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00065. Accessed Aug. 3, 2010.
- Martin SD, et al. Shoulder pain. In: Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/212819723-4/0/1807/279.html?tocnode=55731671&fromURL=279.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3285-4..10040-3_1134. Accessed Aug. 3, 2010.
- Burbank KM, et al. Chronic shoulder pain: Part I. Evaluation and diagnosis. American Family Physician. 2008;77:453.
- Anderson BC, et al. Evaluation of the patient with shoulder complaints. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 3, 2010.