Though uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing, hemorrhoids — and the accompanying itching and bleeding — are common. Effective treatments are available and mostly involve lifestyle and home remedies.
Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome, a rare condition, may be caused by chronic constipation. Dietary changes may help mild cases.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Sept. 03, 2014
- Bleeding in the digestive tract. National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/bleeding/index.htm. Accessed July 29, 2014.
- Strate L. Etiology of lower gastrointestinal bleeding in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 29, 2014.
- Understanding minor rectal bleeding. American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. http://www.asge.org/patients/patients.aspx?id=6820. Accessed July 29, 2014.
- Rectal prolapse. American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. http://www.fascrs.org/patients/conditions/rectal_prolapse/. Accessed July 30, 2014.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 7, 2014.