Loss of blood flow to a bone leads to avascular necrosis — the death of bone tissue. This most commonly affects the thighbone, causing groin pain.
Hemophilia occurs when your body lacks one of several clot-forming proteins called clotting factors. The result is prolonged bleeding, which can be life-threatening.
A hip fracture is a serious injury, potentially life-threatening. But many people are able to make a good recovery.
A hip labral tear occurs when the soft tissue called the labrum in your hip joint tears — often due to injury, overuse or degenerative conditions.
Your bones are made up of living tissue that's continually being renewed. Paget's disease of bone disrupts that process, sometimes causing serious complications.
Polymyalgia rheumatica is an inflammatory disorder that causes pain and stiffness in the neck, shoulders, upper arms, hips and thighs.
Jul. 31, 2013
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed May 13, 2013.
- Anderson BC. Evaluation of the adult with hip pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2013.
- Anderson BC. Patient information: Hip pain (Beyond the basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2013.
- Anderson BC. Overview of hip pain in childhood. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed May 13, 2013.
- Collins RD. Algorithmic Diagnosis of Symptoms and Signs. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2013:232.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 13, 2013.