Atrioventricular canal defect is a congenital heart defect involving a hole in the center of the heart and abnormal valves between the heart's chambers.
Autonomic neuropathy refers to damage to or disease affecting the involuntary nerves.Autonomic neuropathy refers to damage to or disease affecting the involuntary nerves.
Coarctation of the aorta is a cardiovascular defect resulting in a narrowing of the aorta, the blood vessel that delivers oxygen-rich blood to your body.
Epidermolysis bullosa is a group of inherited skin diseases whose hallmark is fragile skin that blisters easily. Severe forms may be life-threatening.
This whooshing sound in your heart is usually harmless, but in some cases heart murmurs can alert your doctor to specific heart conditions.
Heat exhaustion occurs when your body overheats, usually as a result of hot, humid weather. It's preventable, but can be dangerous if not treated.
Hidradenitis suppurativa is a chronic and often painful skin disease. Early diagnosis and treatment offer hope for managing the symptoms.
Leukemia is a cancer in which abnormal white blood cells proliferate. Although it's often perceived as a children's disease, leukemia also occurs in adults.
A pheochromocytoma is a rare adrenal gland tumor that can produce large amounts of certain hormones and seriously raise blood pressure.
Pituitary tumors are abnormal growths in the pituitary gland in the brain. Most are noncancerous (benign). Some may cause overproduction of hormones and associated problems.
Porphyria is a group of inherited disorders that cause buildup of natural chemicals (porphyrins), which can result in nervous system and skin problems.
Pulmonary edema occurs when air sacs in the lungs fill with fluid. It's often a life-threatening emergency.
Serotonin syndrome — caused by mixing some antidepressants and other medications — can be life-threatening if left untreated.
Sep. 21, 2012
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Smith CC, et al. Primary focal hyperhidrosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Cerfolio RJ, et al. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons expert consensus for the surgical treatment of hyperhidrosis. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2011;91:1642.
- What is a heart attack? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heartattack. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 12, 2012.