Atrioventricular canal defect is a congenital heart defect involving a hole in the center of the heart and abnormal valves between the heart's chambers.
Coarctation of the aorta is a cardiovascular defect resulting in a narrowing of the aorta, the blood vessel that delivers oxygen-rich blood to your body.
Hidradenitis suppurativa is a chronic and often painful skin disease. Early diagnosis and treatment offer hope for managing the symptoms.
Pituitary tumors are abnormal growths in the pituitary gland in the brain. Most are noncancerous (benign). Some may cause overproduction of hormones and associated problems.
Porphyria is a group of inherited disorders that result from buildup of natural chemicals call porphyrins, which can cause nervous system and skin problems.
Serotonin syndrome — caused by mixing some antidepressants and other medications — can be life-threatening if left untreated.
Find out about this rare cause of heart attack in young, healthy people.
Sept. 21, 2012
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Smith CC, et al. Primary focal hyperhidrosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Cerfolio RJ, et al. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons expert consensus for the surgical treatment of hyperhidrosis. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2011;91:1642.
- What is a heart attack? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heartattack. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 12, 2012.