Because your daughter may look different from her peers, she may find it sometimes difficult to cope with having Turner syndrome. You as a parent also may have difficulties coping. You'll likely have many concerns about your daughter's health, social interactions, friendships, education and general well-being.
The Turner Syndrome Society of the United States and other organizations provide educational materials, resources for families and information about support groups. Groups for parents provide an opportunity to exchange ideas, develop coping strategies and locate resources. Peer groups for girls with Turner syndrome can help reinforce your daughter's self-esteem and provide her with a social network of people who understand her experience with Turner syndrome.
Aug. 20, 2011
- Learning about Turner syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/turner-syndrome. Accessed June 28, 2011.
- Davenport ML. Approach to the patient with Turner syndrome. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2010;95:1487.
- Saenger P. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Turner syndrome (gonadal dysgenesis). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed June 28, 2011.
- Bondy CA. Turner syndrome 2008. Hormone Research. 2009;71(suppl):52.
- Clinical features of Turner syndrome. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://turners.nichd.nih.gov/clinical.html. Accessed June 28, 2011.
- Loscalzo ML. Turner syndrome. Pediatrics in Review. 2008;29:219.
- Genetic features of Turner syndrome. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://turners.nichd.nih.gov/genetic.html. Accessed June 28, 2011.
- Ross JL, et al. Growth hormone plus childhood low-dose estrogen in Turner's syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine. 2011;364:1230.
- Saenger P. Management of Turner syndrome (gonadal dysgenesis). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed June 28, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.