Your family doctor, gynecologist or a medical practitioner at an urgent care center can diagnose and prescribe treatment for trichomoniasis.
What you can do
Before the appointment, you might want to prepare a list that includes:
- A detailed description of your symptoms, including when they started
- Sexually transmitted infections you've had
- The number of sexual partners you've had during the past few years
What to expect from your doctor
For women, your doctor will perform a pelvic exam and may take a sample of your vaginal fluids for testing.
March 21, 2015
- Sobel JD. Trichomoniasis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 23, 2015.
- Trichomoniasis fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/STD/Trichomonas/STDFact-Trichomoniasis.htm. Accessed Jan. 23, 2015.
- Hobbs MM, et al. Modern diagnosis of trichomonas vaginalis infection. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2013;89:434.