Doctors often can identify Ramsay Hunt syndrome based on medical history, a physical exam and the disorder's distinctive signs and symptoms. To confirm the diagnosis, your doctor might take a sample of fluid from one of the rash blisters in your ear for testing.
Nov. 01, 2016
- Kumar Swain S, et al. Management of Ramsay Hunt syndrome among HIV patients: Our experience in a tertiary care hospital of eastern India. Polish Annals of Medicine. 2016;23:92.
- Albrecht MA. Clinical manifestations of varicella-zoster virus infection: Herpes zoster. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2016.
- Herpes zoster oticus information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/ramsay2/ramsay2.htm. Accessed July 22, 2016.
- Shingles (herpes zoster). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/index.html. Accessed July 22, 2016.
- Herpes zoster oticus. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/ear,-nose,-and-throat-disorders/inner-ear-disorders/herpes-zoster-oticus. Accessed July 22, 2016.