Signs and symptoms of pseudomembranous colitis include:
- Diarrhea that can be watery and sometimes bloody
- Abdominal cramps and pain
- Pus or mucus in your stool
Symptoms of pseudomembranous colitis can begin within one to two days after you begin taking an antibiotic, or several weeks after you discontinue taking the antibiotic.
When to see a doctor
Contact your doctor if you're taking or have recently taken antibiotics and you develop any of the signs or symptoms associated with pseudomembranous colitis, including constant diarrhea, abdominal pain, and blood or pus in your stool.
Dec. 05, 2012
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Oct. 21, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Oct. 21, 2012.
- Kelly CP. Current strategies for management of initial Clostridium difficile infection. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2012;7:S5.
- Ananthakrishnan AN. Clostridium difficile infection: Epidemiology, risk factors and management. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2011;8:17.
- Johnson S. Meeting the challenge of recurrent Clostridium difficile infection. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2012;7:S11.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..X0001-X--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Oct. 21, 2012.
- Gallegos-Orozco JF, et al. Successful colonoscopic fecal transplant for severe acute Clostridium difficile pseudomembranous colitis. Revista de gastroenterología de México. 2012;77:40.
- Diarrhea. ADA Nutrition Care Manual. http://nutritioncaremanual.org/vault/editor/Docs/DiarrheaNutritionTherapy_FINAL.pdf. Accessed Oct.21, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.